Volunteer Participants Required!
Are you aged 16 or over? Do you relate to the sometimes uncomfortable and busy public environments of our modern day world? Does fear, anxiety or hypersensitivities stop you doing the things you would love to try or do?
What if, you could experience a stressful environment in a virtual reality world without even leaving your home?
Why are we doing this?
We recognise not everyone can cope with the everyday environments we live in and want to make it easier.
Our Dynamic Interactive Navigation Familiarisation and Desensitisation study funded by The Scottish Government and the European Social Fund is looking to do just this.
What is this study about?
Taking advantage of the technology available within the field of Virtual Reality (VR), we aim to co-create an interactive and immersive experience which will allow familiarisation and sensory desensitisation, in a typically challenging environment such as an airport. The application will be available free of charge and the only requirements are a suitable smartphone and a pair of headphones.
We are currently recruiting participants to try our immersive world and test our theory. Interested? Then we’d love to hear from you!
What happens if I’m interested in taking part?
We will supply you a VR headset and all the information you need. All you need are headphones, a capable android mobile phone, for instance a Samsung 6 or 7 or equivalent, a reliable internet connection, and a safe environment free of obstacles where you can comfortably sit in to test our App (downloadable from Google Store).
We will need you to spend 16 minutes per day at times that suit you over 7 days using our App.
You will also be required to complete a pre-questionnaire and post questionnaire. Don’t worry if you get too overwhelmed by the experience of our App. You can stop at any point during the 7 days.
Who is involved with this project?
The European Social Fund and the Social Innovation Fund from the Scottish Government are supporting a multi-disciplinary consortium formed by social firm Friendly Access, the School of Simulation and Visualisation at The Glasgow School of Art and the tech startup Crag3D.
All information collected will be strictly confidential and anonymous and stored on a secured system with hard copies kept in a locked desk. The data will be in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1988 and identified only by numbers.
Interested in being part of our pioneering study?
- Please fill in our VR Volunteer form by the 21st October 2017 and we will be in touch soon.
- We will check your information fits the requirements of the study. If we are satisfied it does, we will email you a link to an online questionnaire and a consent form which MUST be completed by Tuesday 24th October 2017
- When we receive your completed consent form and questionnaire, we will email you an information sheet (including the link to download the app via Google Play Store) and send you a VR headset.
- You will start using the app on Monday 30th October 2017
- You will be asked to complete a further questionnaire at the end of your study period.